The Japanese Art of Hapa zome
Hapa-zome is a Japanese term meaning ‘leaf-dye.’ It provides a great context for pupils to investigate the natural world using a range of materials from nature and then express themselves creatively through this traditional art and design technique.
1. Collect a range of leaves, berries and flowers.
2. Position the natural matter as desired on a small piece of cotton fabric.
3. If creating a symmetrical image place the natural matter on one half so that the fabric can be folded over.
4. Or cover the natural matter with a second piece of fabric or kitchen roll.
5. Hammer all over the top layer of material until the dye can be seen seeping through.
6. Remove the top layer